Factory prefinishing is superior to jobsite finishing for most applications. In fact, AWI and WDMA endorse factory prefinishing:
- Factory finishing is usually specified for high-quality work where superior appearance and performance of the finish is desired.
- Benefits of factory finishing include consistency, control of film thickness, environmental compliance, and curing/drying of the finish in a controlled atmosphere.
- Its use assumes a maximum degree of manufacturer prefabrication so that site installation can be performed with a minimum amount of cutting, fitting, and adjustment to facilitate completion.
- Field finishing is typically specified when there is not a demand or specific need for a superior appearance and is not necessarily part of the woodwork contract.
[Architectural Woodwork Standards, published jointly
by AWI, AWMAC, and the Woodwork Institute]
- Factory finishing is generally specified when a project requires high quality performance and superior appearance. Factory finishing offers many benefits:
- State-of-the-art equipment in a dust-free environment provides uniform color, texture, and sheen~conditions normally unavailable in the field.
- Very frequently in field finishing, numerous limitations prevent proper sanding. Improperly sanded, a door lacks the clarity of finish and uniformity of color achievable in factory finishing.
- Factory finishing provides adequate drying time in a dust free environment.
- Door manufacturing facilities are subject to strict State and Federal environmental standards which result in the proper handling, application, and disposal of materials. Specifying factory finish improves environmental compliance.
- It ensures that wood is protected from unfavorable moisture conditions at the earliest possible time.
- In most cases the cost of factory finishing is lower than the cost of using a separate finishing contractor.
- Factory finished doors need only to be installed after delivery, which means faster project completion.
[ANSI/WDMA I.S. 1A-2004]
We would add two more benefits of factory-finishing:
- It costs less to spot a problem at the prefinisher where it can be immediately repaired or culled and reordered before it is shipped to the jobsite.
- Prefinishing VOC’s are controlled at the factory and, therefore, reduced at the jobsite. Many green building guidelines reward builders for installing prefinished products.
Midwest Prefinishing offers you all of these benefits plus our…
Quality Finish Guarantee:
If you don’t like it, return it!